Share this Post
What is Primavera P6?
Primavera was launched in 1983 by primavera systems Inc., which was acquired by oracle corporation in 2008. Primavera p6 is a software used by owned by oracle. It is used by project management professionals across the globe and also can be linked with ERP (Enterprise resource planning) systems. It handles multiple projects and can hold up to 100,000 activities (don’t ever build a schedule that big. It’s not good for your health) with unlimited resources and an unlimited number of target plans.
Oracle primavera p6 is one of the most useful and effective project management software available on the market. It is designed to plan and manage all kinds of complex projects with satisfying each team members requirements. This software provides all necessary tools and features which helps to manage your projects entire life cycle. Risk management, critical path analysis, resource and cost management are some of the basic features of this software. By the help of it, organizations can successfully manage their projects in today’s uncertain economic conditions.
Basically there are two versions of primavera p6: primavera professional project (PPM) management and primavera enterprise project portfolio management (EPPM). Although both versions serve the same project management purposes, there are few differences between them.
What are the applications of Primavera P6?
Primarily used for planning, monitoring, controlling and reporting a project. Used by planning engineers, project control and system engineers, basically the project management team in any engineering project especially in the construction field.
- It is used to create a project baseline program in accordance with the planning manual (set by planning manager with the help of site planning engineer). Also known as the clause 14 program. This is the initial program used to define the planned sequence of activities to be followed for execution in site.
- In primavera the resources can be loaded to activities. Thus, it is easy to get a better picture regarding the yearly, quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily program.
- In huge projects, this information acts vital to know the sequence of activities to prevent any delay in the project.
- Once the initial baseline program is approved by the project management team or PMO (Project Management Office), we can now monitor the project weekly or bi weekly in which the frequency of progress reports has been decided by the project managers.
- The baseline program can now be set in the program and can be monitored. So, this gives an actual site progress status.
- This is comparatively quite flexible in primavera rather than any other software’s.
- In primavera the total float, free float can be easily calculated at the click of a button. Hence it is very easy to identify the critical and sub critical activities and prevent it from delay.
- Reporting is made easy in primavera thanks to its numerous in-built layouts and formats which are customizable.
In addition to that,
Project teams use software tools to monitor and control their project’s performance. It is difficult to complete a project on time and on budget without the help of project management software tools. Because today’s projects involve thousands of activities and variables that must be controlled effectively. An unexpected problem or delay in the critical path may cause overall project delay.
Like other software tools (Microsoft project), oracle primavera p6 helps to keep the projects on track.
Below are some of the benefits of p6
• enables to manage complex projects
• enables to manage project portfolios
• increases visibility
• helps to manage project risks
• enables to perform resource and cost management
• improves collaboration and decision making
Primavera P6 Professional Project Management PPM – Release Version 19.12
Primavera P6 provides high-level project management solutions for your business. Many people think that Primavera P6 is created only for scheduling purposes. It is not just a tool for creating Gantt Charts. It provides many solutions such as cost management, Earned Value Management, risk management, resource leveling, contract management, and reporting.
Let’s take a glance at some of the basic features of Primavera P6.
• Scheduling: Primavera P6 involves advanced scheduling solutions. Activities can be created under WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) levels, relationships can be established between the activities and the critical path of the schedule can be calculated by the help of scheduling feature.
• Resource and Cost Control Management: Resources, unit prices, and expenses can be assigned to activities. Project budget can be tracked with the help of this feature. Project teams can easily compare the planned and the actual status of costs and analyze the performance of the project.
• Risk Management: It is possible to identify and prioritize risks with the help of this feature. Risks can be assigned to activities and risk analysis can be performed for each activity and project.
• Contract Management: Primavera P6 contract management feature provides advanced document control solutions. It is possible to track the Requests For Information Process, changes, issues, submittals and approvals and their impact on the schedule with this feature.
• Reporting: Primavera P6 has advanced reporting feature that allows to use the reports existing in the database or create custom reports for special needs.
End-users of Primavera P6:
Oracle primavera p6 is one of the most popular project planning and scheduling software used for effective project management. Project managers, project coordinators, project planners, schedulers, planning engineers, forensic analysts and stakeholders from various industries have been using primavera p6 for many years.